Everyone loves brownies! This recipe is rich and decadent, and that’s just exactly how it should be: sinful!
Brownies are easy to muster. All you need are: chocolates, bread flour, sugar, eggs and butter. Once you’ve done it, you can add your own flavour to it. I am particularly fond of the following: cheesecake brownies (I’ll post next), coconut macaroons, and the good old-fashioned rocky road.
This time, I wanted to try something new to add to my brownie repertoire. So I thought, why not try a brownie and custard combination? For the custard, I used a Filipino custard recipe which you’ll find in this post too.
I baked these in direct heat, but I’m thinking I could also try baking it in a hot water bath for the next. Why not, right?
Makes about 14 – 16 brownie cups
You can enjoy this on its own or you can try adding the custard. I included it in this post, if you feel like experimenting.
- 1 cup Bread Flour
- 2 /3 cup Unsweetened Chocolate
- 2/3 cup Bittersweet Chocolate
- 1 1/4 cups Butter
- 4 large Eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 1/4 cups Sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
Pre-heat oven to 325F
- Melt the chocolates (unsweetened and bittersweet) and the butter over a bain marie. Once melted, set this aside and let cool to room temperature before adding any of the other ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mix eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla until well blended.
- Blend in the chocolate mixture into the eggs mixture. Then sift and fold flour.
- If you’re doing the regular brownies, bake for about 30 minutes.
- If adding the custard, drop spoonfuls of the brownie batter into lined muffin cups (if you have the silicon ones, use those or use foil cupcake liners).
- Set aside. Then proceed to making the custard, see recipe below.
I mixed this by hand without any difficulties. You can double the amount if you wish to add more.
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup of sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla
- Beat egg yolk, the pour in the vanilla, milk and condensed milk. Blend well.
- Pour into the prepared lined muffin cups with the brownie mixture.
Bake at 325F for about 30 minutes.