Salted Caramel Apple Streusel Cake tops my list on my favourite cakes. Dare I say, perhaps even MORE than chocolate cake. I wish I can give you each a slice so you’d know what I’m talking about.
This cake was made for a friend and the inspiration came from The Brown Eyed Baker’s Cake Recipe. In adapting the cake recipe ingredients, I added nutmeg and lessened the all-spice. The cake came out moist on account of the applesauce and it smelled wonderful with all the spices in it.
I decided to add apple streusel to the cake, this gave the cake sweet and tart flavours. Balancing out the salted caramel and rich buttercream. I love how much texture the streusel added to it. It was perfect!
The recipe is quite lengthy as it includes the recipes for the cake, caramel,buttercream and apple streusel.
It’s my blog’s first year! Woohoo! My goals remain the same, discovering new culinary experiences and sharing recipes I truly enjoy. Thank you for all your support and I really appreciate all the shares and likes!
Salted Caramel Apple Streusel Cake
- 1½ cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2½ cups caster sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsps baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsps ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups applesauce, unsweetened
- 4 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup half and half cream or use whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp butter, unsalted
- a dash of salt
- Caramel Buttercream:
- 5 large egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups softened unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup caramel
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- pinch of Salt
- a pinch of cream of tartar
- Apple Streusel:
- 3 apples granny smith
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsps flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- For the Streusel/Crumble:
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- Simple Syrup:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- For the Cake:
- Prepare 3 cake pans (8-inch round), line the bottom and sides with parchment paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- While the butter and sugar are being beaten. Sift all the dry ingredients in a bowl: flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, all spice. Set aside.
- Once the butter and sugar is light and fluffy, switch to low speed and add the eggs one at a time until incorporated. Make sure to scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl for even mixing.
- Add the flour in three additions alternating with the applesauce ( 2 additions ), beginning and ending with the flour. Mix until fully incorporated, but as always do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into the 3 cake pans. Bake at 325F for about 45 minutes. To check for doneness: you can insert a cake tester/toothpick/bamboo skewer into the center of the cake, if it comes out clean then it's done.
- Let the cake cool and transfer to a cooling rack.
- For the Salted Caramel
- In a small pot over medium heat, combine sugar and water. Do not stir.
- The sugar will dissolve as it boils.
- Once you see some parts turn amber in colour, give it a swirl to ensure even caramelization. Continue to cook until it has darkened in colour (doesn't take too long).
- Lower the heat and the cream and vanilla and whisk until smooth, continue to cook until it has thickened. Mix in the butter and add salt.
- For the Buttercream:
- First, make sure the bowl is grease free ( grease hampers the meringue from reaching its full volume).
- In your mixing bowl, add egg whites and sugar and place over the pot of simmering water (bain-marie). Whisk the egg and sugar gently. The goal is to dissolve the sugar and warm the eggs for the meringue to maximize its volume.
- Once the egg mix is warm, place the bowl back in the mixer. Use the whisk attachment of the mixer. Whisk the egg whites at high-speed and add the pinch of cream of tartar.
- Continue whisking until the meringue is glossy and thick. Be patient. This takes awhile, give it about 10 minutes.
- Add softened butter gradually. Once all the butter has been incorporated, you can add the cooled caramel.
- Switch the whisk attachment to a paddle attachment to make buttercream smoother with less air bubbles.
- For the Apple Streusel:
- Peel and slice the apples. Place the apples in a bowl(or directly into the baking dish) and add lemon juice, sugar, flour, cinnamon and mix it.
- Transfer to a baking dish. Set aside.
- For the Streusel or crumble, simply combine the ingredients together.
- Add the crumb top/streusel to the apple mix.
- Bake for about 350F for about 30 - 40 minutes.
- For The Simple Syrup
- 1. In a small pot, add all ingredients. Bring to a boil, remove from heat. Let it cool before use.
- To Put Together:
- Make sure the cake has cooled completely.
- Level your cakes, using a serrated knife - ideally, each cake layer should be 1" high.
- Apply simple syrup using a pastry brush to each cake layer to keep them moist but not wet. Simply dab syrup on the cake layers.
- Place the first layer of the cake on your cake board. Add buttercream, about a 3/4 cup each layer or more if thicker layer is preferred, use an offset spatula to evenly spread the buttercream. Repeat the same for 2nd layer. For the last cake layer, crumb coat the top and the sides of the cake. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Bring out the cake and mask the entire cake with buttercream.
- To add the caramel and apple streusel, you can either add the apple streusel/crumble first, then drizzle the salted caramel on top the apply caramel around the cake and let it drip.
- Or you can add the caramel first, enough to cover the top of the cake and then place apple streusel in the centre.