I love cheesecakes! Any cheesecake…Any baked cheesecake (I don’t care much for no-bake). It’s the ultimate comfort food. Sometimes, cake just doesn’t cut it.
I make cheesecakes quite often and I usually stick to the “normal” cheesecake recipe. It’s always a big hit in our household! This time, however, I tried to mix things up a bit by using chocolate chip cookies for the crust and placing them in jars. Doing so makes the cheesecakes easier to store. You can then add flavour and garnish the cheesecakes individually.
Here’s the recipe, try it out and have fun baking!
Individual Cheesecakes in Jars
- 1 1/4 cup crushed Chocolate Chip Cookie or graham crackers (I used my Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe)
- 1 tbsp. granulated white sugar
- 3 – 4 tbsp. butter, melted
- 2 – 8 oz. full cream cheese (2 bricks of Philadelphia Cream Cheese)
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup sour cream
Have your ingredients at room temperature.
The cheesecakes will be baked in a water bath, make sure to have a pan that will fit the jars you will be using and has enough depth to hold the boiled water. I used 2 8” x 8” for this, it depends what you have in your kitchen.
Boil water for the water bath.
Pre-heat oven to 325F.
- Start mixing all the ingredients for the crust in a bowl. Once done, equally distribute the mixture among the 6 jars. Press down firmly. Set aside.
- Begin with your cheesecake filling: beat (mixer at low-speed) the cream cheese, salt and sugar until smooth.
- Add the eggs one at a time, making sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl. Add in the vanilla, sour cream and lemon zest, continue to beat at low speed until incorporated.
- Distribute the cream cheese mix among the jars.
- Place the jars in the pan. You will be filling the pan with boiling water halfway up. I usually fill the pan with water once I’ve laid it on the rack in the oven, this way I don’t spill any water.
- Bake for about 25 – 30 minutes, with the sides of the cheesecake firm and centre still wobbles a little. (Cracked cheesecakes happen when over baked or oven temp is too high)
- Cool completely and refrigerate. I prefer refrigerating the cheesecakes overnight. But if you must, wait for about 2 hours.
- You can garnish as you please. I prepared strawberries, mango puree and cream, and chocolate caramel.