With the New Year just a few days away, it looks like this will be my last post for what has been a truly fantastic year.
I just wanted to thank everyone for the all the likes and follows. Starting this blog back in September, there were a few things that I came to realize about blogging. A lot of time, effort and thought went into the process of blogging and I very much enjoyed every part of it, from tweaking and trying out recipes to baking or cooking to styling and taking photos.
There are still many recipes to be shared, but for now, let me end the year by thanking everyone and sharing this lighter (in texture) cheesecake recipe.
French Cheesecake with Short Dough Crust Recipe
Short Dough Crust:
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter (at room temperature)
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 large Egg Yolk
- 1 1/2 cups Cake / pastry flour
Tools needed: Rolling pin, stand mixer with paddle attachment
Pre-heat oven to 360F
1. Cream butter,sugar, using the paddle attachment of your mixer. Add vanilla then egg yolk. Scrape bottom and sides of the bowl. Mix until smooth.
2. Add the sifted flour, mix until fully incorporated.
3. Form dough and flatten to a disk and refrigerate until firm.
4. For making the cheesecake crust, I rolled the dough to 9″ (size of my springform pan) and baked it for approximately 15 minutes.
5. Once baked, set aside to cool.
- 2 packages Philadelphia Cream Cheese
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (reserve half to make ‘meringue’)
- 1/4 cup Corn starch
- Lemon zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 3 large Eggs (separate egg whites and yolks)
- 1/2 cup Heavy cream
Tools needed: stand mixer paddle and whisk attachments or electric beaters, springform pan
Preheat oven to 400F
1. Mix cream cheese with the paddle attachment of your stand mixer on slow speed until smooth.
2. Add half of sugar, cornstarch then add lemon zest. Blend until smooth at low speed. Scrape sides of the bowl to ensure even mixing.
3. Add the vanilla then the egg yolks.Again, make sure to blend well and scrape bottom and sides of bowl.
4. Add the cream gradually, continue to mix until cream has been incorporated. Once done, proceed to making meringue.
5. To make meringue: whisk egg whites in a separate bowl and gradually add the reserved sugar until stiff peak forms but not dry. Meringue should still look glossy.
6. Add the meringue to the cream cheese mixture by folding.
7. Place your baked short dough crust at the bottom of your springform pan.
8. Fill the pan the cream cheese mixture.
9. Bake at 400 F for 10 minutes then bring temperature down to 225F until set. Approximately 1 1/2 hours.
10. Cool completely before taking it out of the pan.
11. If you wish to add Chocolate Ganache, you’ll find the recipe here.